One year ago today, I moved to Colorado and it has been one of the best decisions of my life.
Like some of my other life decisions – such as learning how to snot-rocket while running, always getting guacamole on my burritos, and giving Coors Banquet another chance- Colorado has changed my life.
Though it is not merely my geographical location that has affected this change … but rather the people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting, the opportunities I’ve been able to seize, and the environment of discovery and openness that permeates Colorado culture (okay, but about that last part: knock it off with the ‘Colorado Native’ bumper stickers – we get it, lucky you, you didn’t have to wait until you were 23 to discover Colorado).
Let me re-cap my year:
- I learned to ski: both on- and off-piste
- I’ve climbed in some of the most heralded Meccas of rock: Eldorado Canyon, Estes Park, Indian Creek, Moab, Red Rocks, Bishop, Vedauwoo, and the Cirque of the Towers
- I’ve done 6 fourteeners: Bierstadt, Evans, Grays, Torreys, Sherman, and Democrat
- I learned to ice and to aid climb
- I volunteered: teaching kids of all walks of life how to climb
- I got a real ‘adult’ job: making biopharmaceuticals
Now – I didn’t start this blog to beta-spray, I started for myself as a way to keep track of my accomplishments. To encourage myself to continually push forward. I want to create bigger, better goals for every year. I want to keep growing as a climber, skier, cook, dirtbag, friend, human – whatever! And I want to encourage others (you!) to do the same. As we all know, “past is prologue”, and it’s important to know where you’ve been so you can figure out where you’re going.
So here’s to you Colorado! To the many years of goals and challenges ahead.
One thought on “Happy Anniversary, Colorado”